Making my Mountain Bike lighter — Part 5
What happened earlier in making my bike lighter project
After I started using Camelbaks I could take all the weight of the tools off the bike. Paired with lightweight Carbon Saddles and other lighter parts, the weight of the bike was just above 10.5 kg. However, I went a bit overboard with trying to make the bike lighter. The light weight is nice, but comfort is far more important.
Selle Italia SLR XP Saddle
I ended up switching from the Chinese made Carbon saddle to a Selle Italia SLR XP saddle. Their shape is nearly identical, but the Selle Italia has far more adjustment range on the rails. In fact, the Chinese Carbon saddle only had one position if you wanted to stay within the limit marks. This made it really difficult to get the fit right and in my case, the saddle ended up being just a bit too far back. Unable to adjust that, I had no other option but to look around for a new saddle. Went with the SLR XP because found one for a good price second hand and I have got good experiences with Selle Italia Saddles before.
It has got a little bit of padding on it and the Carbon shell is definitely springier than on the Chinese saddle. When adjusted correctly I can stay seated on technical trails far more compared to the earlier saddle. I also appreciate the tip of the saddle being round rather than pointy. The Chinese made Carbon saddle was definitely good at stabbing your back and thighs.
The downside of switching saddles is that the bike gained 90 grams in the process. That goes against the main goal of making the bike lighter, but I can live with that. Funny that the saddle has 180 g marking on it, despite weighing 11 grams more!
Tools, Spares and Bottle cages
After giving Camelbak Classic and Ratchet a try I came to a conclusion that for shorter local rides that I mostly do, I don’t need a Camelbak. Therefore I decided to go back to using bottles. This time around I had finally got a proper cycling jersey with back pockets, so I could use those for carrying my gear. At first, I went with the setup shown here. 363 grams of tools and spares on the bike, plus 61 grams for the chain tool that I kept in my jersey pocket. However, I think we can do better.
New multi-tool and bottle cage
The first step was to combine the multi-tool and chain-tool. A CONTEC mini-tool weighs just 88 grams, yet has all the necessary bits in it. Apart from an 8 mm Allen key for pedals of course. I might review this tool later on, let me know in the comments if you would be interested in hearing more about it!
To replace the heavy Topeak Ninja bottle cage I also got a lightweight plastic bottle cage from r2bikes. Unlike the Chinese bottle cages, the plastic is quite thin and there’s absolutely no excess material on it. We’ll see how well it holds up in the long run, but after a few test rides it’s holding up well.
After these changes, the weight on the bike dropped down from 363 grams to 209 grams. Nearly 150 grams without losing any functionality! There’s still some weight to lose off the tools and spares, but the amount is getting smaller and smaller with each upgrade. We’ll see how light we can go!
After some changes to saddles, tools and spares the weight of the bike went up to 10.8 kg. Still under 11 kg, so I’m happy with that for now. Next update coming this Fall, stay tuned! Don’t forget to check out what I have done earlier!